The effects of RSS on me, and ISCABBS

I for one am just loving the RSS feeds to ISCABBS! For one thing it makes Forum Moderating much easier, because I don't have to be logged into the BBS (with the attendant idle timeouts) to keep an eye on things.

I have Email open all the time during the day. So I get the RSS feeds piped to my Email. I only have to log in if problems arise.

RSS has also had another effect on how I use ISCABBS. I used to only subscribe to a few forums, because I didn't have time to actively watch more than two or three. Now I'm subscribed to ten forums. Since each feed gets piped to its own folder, I don't have to look at these forums unless I have extra time to kill.

In addition to these positive benefits of using RSS, I wonder if there will also be negative effects? Since I'm not on the BBS as much, will this make me less likely to post? Added up across the userbase, will too many passive listeners mean less overall activity?

Comments