My Advent Wreaths

Every Advent I like to design my own Advent wreath, incorporating some small attempt at originality and artistry as well as religious imagery that is important to me. Here are some photos and comments on wreaths I have made throughout the years.

Advent is one of my favorite observances, and will always have a fond place in my heart, partly because it is one of the few observances from my childhood that I still find meaningful as an adult:

Advent 1999
Advent 1999
I was really into angular shapes this year, turning the concept of a circular wreath into a series of "square circles." Perhaps it is my love of paradox that drew me to this design.

Advent 2001
Advent 2001
In keeping with my love of modern lines and minimalism, I returned to the idea of circles and soft edges, yet also a hint of cruciform emerges.

Advent 2002
Advent 2002
I wanted a baptismal motif, using water to support the four candles. A small nativity was added just before Christmas Eve (the holy family journeyed to the wreath from other rooms in the house during Advent) and an extra white votive gives the cruciform array of lights.

Advent 2003
Advent 2003
A simpler, more traditional design. The circular candle holder is made of bronze and incorporates bronze "leaves" or "greens." Mostly because fresh greenery is hard to come by and hard to keep fresh where I live, I have avoided using evergreens in my wreaths.

Advent 2005
Advent 2005
I was lucky enough to acquire some very large used Advent candles from a church, which should last through daily lighting the entire season. This is the first year I have tried to incorporate Trinitarian imagery (there are "three" of each candle) as well as the number 12 for the 12 days of Christmas, and the 12 disciples. Christ is at the center, and the largest candle.

Comments